New York may be the city that never sleeps, but Singapore’s the city that never stops eating. For a gastro-tourist, somebody who travels to eat, any kind of serious eater, Singapore’s probably the best place you can go… –Anthony Bourdain
Good food is an abiding passion for Singaporeans–mainly because there’s so much of it on the tiny, multi-cultural island. Singapore Cooking
is a compendium of local favorites by two of Singapore’s best-known food personalities, Christopher Tan and his father Terry Tan.
This book features amazing recipes for the most fabulous Hainanese Chicken Rice and Singapore Chilli Crab you have ever tasted–as well as lesser known but equally delightful dishes like Ayam Tempra (Chicken Braised in Spicy Sweet Soy) and Nasi Ulam (Fresh Herbal Rice Salad).
The recipes are easy to follow, accompanied by clear color photos, and include:
- Delicious Marinades, Chutneys, Sambals and Achars like Sweet Pineapple Relish and Roasted Coconut Sambal
- Famous local snacks like Curry Puffs, Bak Kut Teh Pork Rib Soup and Rojak Salad with Sweet Spicy Dressing
- Spicy noodle dishes like Mee Goreng Fried Egg Noodles and Laksa Rice Noodles with Spicy Coconut Broth
- Fabulous seafood recipes like Grilled Sambal Stingray, Gulai Prawns with Pineapple and of course, Chilli Crab
- Delightful meat and chicken dishes like Babi Assam Tamarind Pork and Chicken Wings in Dark Soy and Rice Wine
- Distinctive vegetable dishes like Eggplant Sambal and Nangka Lemak Young Jackfruit Coconut Curry
- Recipes for fabulous desserts like Nonya Pineapple Tarts and Coconut Pancakes with Banana Sauce
- And so much more!
Singaporean cooking has incorporated recipes and ingredients from Chinese, Indonesian, Malay, Indian, and Western cooking traditions and melded them together in a distinctive, flavorful way. Your acquaintance–or reacquaintance–with Singapore’s food promises to be an unforgettable experience!